Library computers are available at all University Libraries. They support teaching, learning and research and offer a variety of software. Current University of Minnesota --Twin Cities students, faculty, and staff have unlimited access to these computers.
All other visitors must stop by a library service desk to sign up for computer workstation card. All you need is a valid government issued photo ID. This card will give the visitor up to two hours of computer access per day and is valid for one year. You can renew your card after one year.
Visitors using library computer workstations can access most of our licensed indexes and databases and electronic books.
Note: All users must agree to abide by University Libraries' policies.
SMART Learning Commons
The SMART Learning Commons are a one-stop resource for students needing research, technology, or writing help. Two of the three locations on the Twin Cities campus host a collection of computers offering a wide variety of special software. They are available to all Twin Cities students, faculty, and staff. These are:
West Bank - Wilson Library, Basement Level
East Bank - Walter Library, Room 204
The Office of Information and Technology has general purpose computer labs across the Twin Cities and St. Paul campuses.
Wireless access is available at all University Libraries via the University’s network. See general information on guidelines, set-up information, and technical standards here:
Printing & Photocopying
Printing From a Library Workstation
Black-and-white printing is available at all University Libraries. Color printing is also available at Wilson, Walter, and Magrath Libraries.
- Black-and-white prints are 10 cents per exposure.
- Color prints are 50 cents per exposure.
To print from a library workstation:
- Add value to your U Card or Gopher GOLD Card at the ValuePort if needed.
- Print your document (Ctrl-P or File > Print). Enter a job name and an ID to identify your job in the print queue.
- Go to the Uniprint release station at your library -- staff can assist you in locating it.
- Swipe your UCard or GopherGold card on the keyboard.
- Select your print job from the print job list on the screen next to the printer. The cost will appear on the bottom of the screen. Click Print to accept, and then Log Out.
Printing From Your Laptop
Windows and Mac users can print from their laptop at these libraries:
See our guide for details.
Photocopiers are available at all University Libraries. You need a U Card or Gopher GOLD Card for use. Copies are 10 cents per exposure. (See below for instructions on how to add value to your U Card or Gopher Gold Card.) Library staff are available to help with any copy questions you have.
Adding Value to Your U Card
Adding value to your card is simple, using any of the following options:
Other Printing and Photocopying Services
Scanning & Digitization
There is one free standalone digital scanner in Wilson Library and one in Magrath Library. Each of these scanners are customizable to scan in color or at various page sizes and resolutions. There is no charge for use, but a flash drive is required.
Other scanners can be found in these locations:
- the Borchert Map Library in the Wilson Library Sub-Basement
- the Bio-Medical Library, the Natural Resources Library
- the Veterinary Medical Library
With these machines, you can view microfilm or microfiche and also:
- Email images
- Save images to a USB flash memory drive
- Burn images to a CD or DVD
- Print images (cost is 10 cents per page)
Library staff are available to assist with the use of these machines.
Archival Scanning & Digitization
The Libraries' Digital Library Services provides reliable and trustworthy digitization services to the University community and researchers using University materials across the globe. The DLS strives to provide the best quality and most sustainable digital surrogates possible at a reasonable cost.